Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Conquering My Pattern Phobia


Hi.  My name is Dawn and I am recovering pattern phobic.  I mentioned in a previous post that patterns intimidated me.  What I failed to mention was how I have gotten around that since I started seriously sewing.  My dear friend, Sara, introduced me to the world of internet tutorials.  If there is anything you want to try in the realm of crafting, I am almost positive there is a tutorial out there in internet land.  Can I just say I am in love with these tutorials?  They show you step by step how to make cute stuff and they even have pictures!!!!!

I knew I couldn’t put off patterns forever.  It just greatly limited my options.  Plus, I just felt plain silly for being anxious about them.  I knew I had to conquer my fears.  My kiddos need warm hats.  It doesn’t get all that cold very often where we live, but there are occasions a warm, fleece hat is a necessity.  But I couldn’t find one I thought was cute enough for the price I wanted.  So I found a pattern for each child.  And today, my mom showed me how to read them.  It really wasn’t that hard.  I think I picked great patterns with which to get my feet wet.  We only got as far as cutting and piecing one of the hats.  Alas, I did not get to play with my new toy either.  Brother Blessing was very needy today and only Mommy would do.    So here’s a preview of what I hope to get to work on later this week….

Pattern for Sister Blessing ( I hope to add a little flower to it):



Pattern for Brother Blessing:




Fabric for both (Sister Blessing’s favorite color is red and she is obsessed with doggies):



No comments:

Post a Comment