Saturday, January 22, 2011

I'm in love, I'm a believer!


Wahoo!  I finally got to play with my new machine I got for Christmas.  I wouldn’t let myself pull it out because I had a lot to get done and didn’t need the distraction.  Plus, I do my sewing in the dining room and we were having people over.  I needed the dining room to be presentable. 

Can I just say I’m in love?!?!?!?  Keep in mind that I’ve been sewing on a machine from the 1980s.  It was a good and mostly dependable machine.  However, it had its quirks and was getting temperamental in its old age.  Now I’ve arrived in the 21st century.  I can easily wind a bobbin, load the bobbin, thread the needle and use so many cool stitches.  Or I will eventually.  It took a little bit of hard thinking to figure it all out.  Hey – I’m used to ancient history – not science fiction!    My stitches are a little rough and I should have used a different color thread.  But I thought it didn’t turn out too badly considering I’m still learning how to operate the Starship Enterprise instead of the Battleship Enterprise.  

Here is my first project with my new machine:


A new pacifier clip for Brother Blessing.  

Sister Blessing never liked pacifiers, so it’s been a new experience for me to keep up with one.   The strap to Brother Blessing’s current clip has gotten quite yucky.  He’s teething so he chews on everything.  And drool gets everywhere… I mean everywhere.  Plus, there’s another baby in the church nursery with the same kind of strap and pacifier.  So I wanted a way to distinguish which one belongs to Brother Blessing.  I did a modified version of this project I found on Prudent Baby:  DIY Ribbon Pacifier Clip


Instead of using Velcro, I used a ponytail holder to attach to the pacifier.  Brother Blessing would only use the hospital pacifier for the longest time.  He’s now decided other ones are good enough for his discriminating tastes, but I remember how hard it was to find a strap for that type of pacifier.  So I looked at his strap and realized the attachment looked like a ponytail holder.  So figured why not give it a shot – especially since I got a bunch of them on closeout.  It works pretty well.  I may have to make some for baby gifts.

Next up:  I hope to embroider Brother Blessing’s name on one of these.  I think that would add not only a nice personal touch, but also be very practical.  Speaking of Brother Blessing, he’s staring and smiling at me.  I think he’s telling me to get off the computer and play with him.  Little stinker blessing should be asleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment